Master International Social Work with Refugees and Migrants :: Fakultät Angewandte Sozialwissenschaften (FAS) :: FHWS

Universitiy of Applied Sciences

Münzstraße 12
97070 Würzburg

Telefon: +49 (0) 9 31 - 3511–9202
Telefax: +49 (0) 9 31 - 3511–9201


Admission and degree

Admission Requirements

  • Bachelor degree or diploma in the study programme social work, welfare, welfare work or social pedagogy or a related field of studies with an overall score of 2.5 or better and at least 210 credit points, or a qualitatively equivalent university degree; with a qualification of at least 180 CPs, the missing 30 CPs can be made up subject to certain conditions.

  • Applicants, who have acquired their study programme qualification at a non-German language institution, must provide proof of sufficient knowledge of German (language proficiency level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages of the Council of Europe or higher) in order to be admitted; enrolment takes place in this respect subject to the condition that proof is provided by the end of the second semester.

  • The teaching language of the master’s program will be English. Thus, sufficient oral and written command of English is highly recommended and a level of B2 English proficiency is required. Students have the option of taking one of the following approved language tests and turning in the results during the application phase:

    • TOEFL 80 (Internet-based test)
    • IELTS 6.5
    • CAE (Cambridge Advanced Certificate)

      If a student cannot provide proof of their B2 level proficiency at the time of application, they also have the option to complete a level B2 English course, and provide a certificate, by the end of the 2nd semester. The student must be aware that they may have to organize these courses themself- and therefore it is highly recommended to try and fulfill this requirement at the time of application.

Study Duration and Degree

After 3 semesters graduates receive the academic title "Master of Arts".

The German professional title "staatlich anerkannte/r Sozialpädagog/in" (state-recognized social worker) is not awarded with graduation (it requires a German Bachelor of Social Work).